Trafficjammy

Entering the world of "Just Jenn"! :) Enjoy the read...this is the journey to Thailand!

26 March 2008

My work

I am currently employed at an adoption program in the metro Boston area. We're a private agency that is contracted through the Department of Social Services to do domestic adoption in MA. I work with families that want to adopt children in the foster care system in MA. It's been a great job - I've been there for 7 months! I love my co-workers, boss, office staff, and especially my families. It is a much different job than I've had in the past - I am working with higher functioning families that are middle to upper class, usually higher college educated that want to adopt! I have definately worked in different populations and environments over the years!

These children in foster care have had rough little lives (abuse and neglect) and need good homes. I give our families so much credit - they have enormous compassion and committment. My job is to recruit - train - homestudy - match families. That means - getting people to sign up, train them in a parenting course for kids with special needs, write a family history about them, and match them with a child that is right for them. It's been great! It's a nice feeling to be a part of "making a family." I am truly blessed by the work and the dedication of our families and staff. I am still interested in international adoption, but this is great experience, too and sooooo needed! I even got to witness a 4 family adoption on National Adoption Day (Nov 16th)! It's one day a year that the local courts shut down business to focus on adoptions. They have food and games and gifts for the kids and the courtroom procedures are a party to celebrate the new family! It's so great to see and know that you're a part of something so meaningful and important.

There are so many children in need of good homes - won't you consider being an adoptive parent?! :) Check out: http://www.mareinc.org/ to see some of the kids waiting for a family to call their own! Let me know if you're interested!

1 Comments:

At 8:49 PM, Blogger Paula Puckett said...

I am already a richly blessed adoptive parent to little Zack, nearly 5 already---and whom I am registering for Kindergarten tomorrow! What important Kingdom work you are doing, Jenn!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home