Home for the Holidays
I had wonderful celebrations last year in Thailand for Thanksgiving, my Birthday, Christmas, and New Years...but now I am home for the Holidays! :) It is nice to be back in familiar surroundings and regular family traditions - like eating lots o' good food, cleaning up after the big meal, taking a nap, watching Elf with my brother, arguing about spending too much or not enough time with eachother...and watching a Christmas Story! (see my new nightlight?!)
Thanksgiving is never truly complete because my brother is not there for it - but it was still nice to have 'my favorite meal of the year' with my family! Oh, how I love turkey and mashed potato volcanos! :)
My Birthday was pretty low key this year, unlike all the festivities last year. I was sick for most of it with a head cold :( I did venture out for a friends party with my bestest bud Danny T and for an awesome Chili's Baby Back Rib Combo meal! My coworkers also suprised me with a gianormous BDAY cookie!
Christmas is always a great holiday for me to celebrate the Lord's birth. I try really hard to put the focus on HIM and not on just family or gifts, etc. But in this consumer world, it is crazy the amount of time and money we put into buying stuff for everyone! :( I am in a much more unstable financial place than ever (who knew that at my age I'd be going backwards?!) So I tried to be more thoughtful about gifts but spend less. I also took my little sister and my little brother to see the Christmas Lights at LaSalette Shrine in Attleboro, MA.
I think my brother thought it was gonna be like seeing someone's house lit up - but it is MUCH more than that! :) It was beautiful and fun to share with my sibs (minus Mindy who couldn't make it).
Between family functions and seeing friends, I also attended a Christmas Eve service at a local church in CT to sing hymns and focus on Jesus. It was a great way to spend the evening.
New Years Eve wit my brutha was so fun!
We hung out in downtown Boston for First Night festivities seeing a comedy show, local musicians, ice sculptures,
and met up with some of my friends for drinks at Hard Rock
(and teased some street performers!)
before seeing the fireworks at the harbor.
It's been a nice season to be home...even though I miss my friends and life in Thailand - God is good and has provided. Jesus is the reason for the season! :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home