Trafficjammy

Entering the world of "Just Jenn"! :) Enjoy the read...this is the journey to Thailand!

18 July 2007

In the good ol' US of A

After I left Thailand, I was greeted by 3 of my beautiful friends in the California area for a crazy night in San Fran! It was a great way to re-enter into a 'foreign' world! :)

Then I headed to Colorado to see my brother and old/new friends. It was a great reunion for me and 3 girls I became friends with in Thailand (they taught english and worked at the church I went to) and got to spend time with them in CO.



I always have fun with my brother - we are like 2 peas in a pod! :) We visited Boulder for the annual festival,
a Rockies baseball game (no that's not my boyfriend, and yes, we're older than 17!)
walked around the red rocks, drove through Winter Park to see the snow capped mountains,
went to a comedy club, dinner, and movies. It was a blast! It even HAILED at one point in the middle of a hot afternoon!?
I also got to visit my friend Anthony (new in Denver from Boston!) and my first friend in Boston, Janee, with her family (2 kids now!). It was precious! :)

It was a nice transition back into the society of American culture - although, I'll never understand the prices of things anymore.... I of course, have my good and bad feelings about being back in the USA. Some observations I've noticed since being back:

1. I don't feel comfortable picking my nose in public anymore! Of course, I don't really do that - but it IS accepted in Thailand! :) *just NOT picking your teeth!?
2. I am still eating my food with a spoon, instead of a fork!
3. It feels good to NOT see old men with young Asian girls...
4. I really miss eating mangoes, sticky rice, fried pork rinds, pineapple, fried bamboo worms, fruit shakes, and sweetened corn.
5. I can't explain how I long for foot massages for $3 - anytime and anywhere I want! I mean, it's at least $50 an hour - even closer to $70-80!!?? it's CRAZY! it's like over $1 a MINUTE....
6. I can read any product, sign, book, map, and food labels!
7. I thought my road rage would be better in the States, since driving is crazy in Asia...but I am even more mad - I guess I expect more from the USA!?
8. I seem to feel very at home in nail salons (whatever language is spoken!) and croweded outdoor farmers markets!
9. I am anticipating missing my housekeeper when i finally have a home of my own! (i'm still a vagabond).
10. I sometimes still use the wipers instead of the signals, or go to the wrong side of the car!
11. I forget that I don't need to take my shoes off everywhere I enter! And now I have pretty clean feet!
12. I am trying to figure out what "home" means...is it where your family is? is it where you feel comfortable? is it where you feel called?

I am also realizing that i had a lot of purpose and focus in Thailand, and in the States, so far, I have none.... I know that i will eventually, but i really felt like i was contributing to the greater good there - you could see progress (i guess more immediately) and felt that help was appreciated. i'm hoping that in my next job - that is also the case. i have not given up hope or faith that the Lord will guide me to and where He wants me to be next...as well as a future overseas one day.

Thanks for your calls, emails, prayers, and visits - i love you and hope to visit with each of you in the months to come! Blessings.

1 Comments:

At 12:38 AM, Blogger Terri said...

#12 on - welcome to my world...I'm praying for ya. - love,t

 

Post a Comment

<< Home