Summing it all up...
So as my time came to a close in Thailand, I wanted to write about some of them. I struggled for awhile with the decisions that were made at the Org I worked with and their decision to close the trafficking program. I really had to just give it to God because I couldn't understand what happened and I couldn't make things different. I guess I just needed to know that God brought me there for a reason and I was able to do some good.
I spent time with my social workers and had a "goodbye" lunch at Sizzler's (our favorite!) and watched a pretty bad Thai comedy movie together! No one really was able to be too sentimental because it all happened too fast and was still raw for everyone. But it was special nonetheless. I loved each one of the staff as mentors, friends, and family while I was there and will forever be grateful for the kindness and friendship they gave me.
When I left, I decided to take off and take a vacation! I traveled to 3 countries in 3 weeks with and without friends of mine along the way. It was an amazing time to see South East Asia and take a break from the 'real world' waiting for me back home....I hoped that I would have some revelations about the next steps in my life, but it turned out to be quite a distraction! But a welcomed one! :) Laos to Vietnam to Cambodia - trekking, shopping, eating, learning, sight seeing, experiencing - it was all good! (*see earlier posts for photos)
I had a few weeks of struggling looking for a paid social work job in Chiang Mai - as I wanted to stay where I was, but nothing was to be found. I was so frustrated and didn't think it would be so difficult. All the positions were volunteer and at that time, I just wasn't convinced I was supposed to fundraise in order to stay. I felt so frustrated and burned out with the 'system' of things - Thai culture and social work related, that I had no focus or passion about what I wanted to do with my life there. I knew I could be very happy staying - that's why I stayed an extra 2 months to try to find a job...but the doors were closing and my passion was slowly fading. I loved the work I was doing with my local church and outreach, but I didn't necessarily think that that was my 'calling' longterm. And just being pressed with my Visa expiring, I had to make a decision quickly. I decided that I needed to go back home to the States indefinately.
I had a difficult and busy 2 weeks of making moving arrangements and saying goodbyes to all my friends in Thailand. It was so hard to let go of my work with the kids at outreach and at church - probably harder for me than for them! As much as I was different from them, I felt connected to them on a sincere and close in heart level that I know was from the Lord. Parties, and dinners, and lunches, and movies, and moving, and karaoke, and outtings...it was a full and fun few weeks! :)
*Here's one of the old woman I met one day while driving to work. She lives down the street from me - her name is Wannda. I waved to her almost every day all year! I gave her that cushion she is sitting on because she sat outside by the street every day on a hard wood bench.
- My kids at church - with a birthday party and carnival trip!
- A party with my friends and farewell dinner cruise with work!
- A BBQ with my neighbors!
- A weekend getaway with friends!
- Thai cooking class!
- Thoughtful gifts and cards!
- Muay Thai kickboxing match!
- Karaoke with my peeps!
- Hang out time with Outreach kids and a Shelter visit!
- Lunch with Outreach staff!
- Dinner with my "home away from home" family from church! I love this family sooooo much and I made a best friend out of it, too! :) (love you, Liz)
- Dinner, gifts, favorites foods with my sunday school kids and their families!
13. An emotional but always funny, visit and goodbye at the CM Airport on May 22nd...
BUT, it was so difficult emotionally to move on and let them go. I was in denial the whole time - it felt like I was just going to the States for a month to visit and then return. I couldn't believe that I was leaving and maybe never going back....
Prayer requests:
*Outreach - Open Hands Corner:
- The children and teens that are still on the streets selling flowers in the sex district, helping their families to make a living. They are at risk for being trafficked, abused, exploited, and influenced on the streets. Prayer for safety, guidance (Poonsri, Nam, Nam, Boom working there daily for these hilltribe peoples), funding for activities, awareness building, good volunteers (*my friends Liz and Faa are still volunteering there for these kids each week).
- Ahmy and Somchay - 2 street kids living at a Christian shelter now and doing great! Prayer for their continued growth, relationships with their families, opportunities in life, happy childhood. I miss their smiling faces already!
*Beulah Church:
- English program - that there are volunteers who will continue to come on short/long term trips to teach English to willing students of all ages.
- Continued funding for buiding projects, air conditioning, medical missions, evangelism.
- My 'second family' there and the new grandson coming soon!
- Sunday School kids - my 6 pre/teenagers (3 sets of brothers/sisters). Prayer for someone to take an interest in working with them at the church and helping them to develop their goals for themselves as they grow and learn and mature. How I love these kids!! They are in my heart forever!
*Toy - my sweet sweet Thai friend who works in the Night Bazaar as a street Thai masseuse. She faithfully gave me a foot massage every wednesday night! She had been attending my church and attempted to learn english 2 times a week. Pray that she will continue to go to church on her own now that I'm gone and that she will have confidence to learn English to improve her opportunities in life. For her salvation and her growth.
*Friendships I left behind - continuing our relationships from afar and lifting each other up in prayer. What a blessing they were to me!!!! *Safety and provision - some are now in the Philippines working, one moving back to the States soon, some looking for work, one hoping to go off to college in the States, one staying and doing ministry for awhile, one in India doing missions, and others working and raising their families.
*Neighbors - I really tried to reach out to my two male neighbors at my house. They are struggling with wife/ex-wife issues, as well as keeping themselves busy and out of trouble...pray for their salvation and meaningful lives and relationships.
*Thailand as a country - the coup, bombings, Burma, citizenship, Buddhism, war, Earthquakes, Flooding, Extreme heat, human trafficking, poverty...many issues that corrupt a nation and a people group.
*My own feelings of loss, transitioning, next steps - I appreciate your support, calls, prayers, friendship and understanding! :) THANK YOU for always welcoming me with open arms and hearts. I am still feeling a little out of sorts and restless and confused...but getting established and figuring out what the Lord has for me next. I will keep you posted! Keep in touch!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home