The life and times of 'Jenjira'
Greetings in salutations! I have to say, I am liking my new Thai name, Jenjira. I sound like a superhero - sweet! :) I felt like one last night when Sally and I went on a killing spree in our flat...no, we were not practicing our self defense techniques, but destroying swarms of mosquitoes! Luckily, I just bought the "3 in 1 mosquito beater". I know you are wondering what this could possibly entail, so I will inform you of this miraculous invention. It is a tennis racket of sorts that has an electric shock component in the net - that virtually zaps the bug and obliterates it! The insect literally explodes and disintegrates before your eyes - it was awesome!! You even get a fant sense of burning afterwards...i feel evil using it. But it is fun! Take a look:

It gets better though - this '3 in one' invention is not only a magnificant mosquito killer, it is a flashlight AND radio combined! I know, amazing. So if you can't see the bugs, but feel them - you'll get em with the mini-flashlight. And if for any reason that doesn't get you going in itself, you have a built in radio, WITH earphones, to jam to while fighting them off! :) It's an amazing invention - i have to bring one home!!

*So, before all this excitement, Sally and I went to teach our English class. Yes, I was swept into it after I met them all - what a great bunch! They are kids and adults that go to a local church that want to learn English. Sally and I were on our own, but some 'veteran' teachers came in last week to take over. But we decided to stay once a week to help out. What fun - I can't even begin to tell you how funny it has been. I fortunately got to work with the 2, 12 year old boys (I adore them!)- I am much better with boys at that age than girls - we just get along - maybe because i'm still a tomboy at heart! :) anyways, we got into a giggling fit during the lesson - just some funny action movements that they were asked to imitate... :) well, i am the typical 'mischief' (still!) that is being disruptive with the boys = "language dictionary workbook...expensive, admission to take the class...free, money received by the 'helpers'...nothing, annoying the overbearing teacher with laughter... priceless! :)
*And guess who got to drive for the first time yesterday??! I DID! (yesterday was a very productive day!) It was funny - i just asked my coworker "D" while we were driving if i could have at it at some point - and she was like, ok and pulled over on the side of the highway! I got in and dove right in! It wasn't as scary as I imagined...although, you must beware of motorbikers - they have no value of their lives i've noticed, no speed limits are posted (nice!), oh - and they drive on the left side of the street! Got to remember that! :) It was fun - i miss driving my rav4. I drove to the airport and to one of our shelters we work with. It was great - i got to buy some of the handmade items the girls themselves make. It was nice to be able to contribute to their livlihood! One of the girls (who was one of our kids) was moving to go to school to further her education - she had a heartbreaking story but received such wonderful care at this facility. **Pray for her as she begins a new life!
*Also, on the way back - I was driving and noticed the frozen food store from my Sunday misadventure to church...(if you remember from my last entry) - i swerved in without thinking! I was so grateful to the young woman who had helped me out that day, with the crazy language barrier and confused taxi's, she was a Godsend to me! I had no idea where this store was located, and there it was! So i went in with my coworker (to translate of course!) so i could formally thank her. I gave her a handmade change purse i bought at the center - she was so cute and gracious! It was so fun to see her again - i wanted to talk to her but it was so difficult not knowing Thai.... She was sweet and i felt good being able to 'repay' her for her kindness. God is good! *her name in Thai means "sweet", too! :)
**So, the moral of the story is: be good to strangers, love to learn and laugh, be careful driving on the left, and have no mercy with mosqutioes! :) Have a great day!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home