First week down!!
*Be sure to scroll down and check out new pictures I put in!*
What is new with me...? Well, it has been a busy week - exchanging pleasantries with everyone in the office (and pronouncing their names correctly!), making my office a little more "me", getting to know the work and cases better, hanging out with the roomie, tasting the local flavor and seeing the sites! It's been a packed week. In the midst, suffering through some stomach trouble...but can't complain - God is so good and clearly here with me.
I helped out my roommate and co-worker with their English class at their church - very "sanuk"(fun)!
I had a meeting with my social work team (SWT) - we want to plan a "field trip" to Burma sometime soon to build some relationships with local churches in order to find more girls to help out - I love these women already! :) I'm helping to plan and coordinate a training here soon with a great aftercare program. I'm excited to learn more about these issues facing girls with past sexual trauma. I'd also like to help out the office with the documention system and incorporate more case conferences with the legal and social work team. Had dinner with my boss and his wife - very cool people and blessed by their devotion to this work and this country. 
I also got to go to the Chiang Mai Fair with my roommate and co-worker "J" - it's a huge open market with lots of native foods, raffles and games, local musicians and shows and kareoke (they LOVE it here!!). Some great handmade crafts made by village communities with ethnic flair!

We also had a half hour foot massage - for a $1.25! -so great!! :) Enjoy the pics!

The Thai people are so warm and friendly and polite! It is a nice change from the northeast! :( well, it's not that bad all the time.... anyways, it is nice to buy things that go towards the local communities to support their hard work. I went to one of our aftercare facilities with my co-worker "D" (*Please pray for her, too - she is trying to save enough money to come to the states to study english and build up her social work skills!). We went so I could meet her client and some of the staff. They are one of the only facilities that take in hilltribe girls that have been trafficked in the sex trade. The girls were beautiful and sweet and hard at work making crafts by hand to sell for their ministry.
Please pray for:
*My deal with my roommate to get up at 6:30am every morning to walk, and 8:30am to do daily devotions together!
*Not feeling 100% physically yet....
*At times, really missing friends and family and the comforts of home.
*Learning the language and being able to effectively communicate with my co-workers...as well as the general public! :)

1 Comments:
Awesome!! How are you doing with the culture shock? - love, Ter
Post a Comment
<< Home