Visits with my father
It’s been awhile since I’ve written – I’m sorry – it’s been CRAZY busy here! I greeted my dad on February 9th with bronchitis and a mad dash to buy a car. It was great to see him – I actually cried at the airport! I couldn’t believe it myself but it was nice to see him. We had a relaxing weekend at home because I was sick – and luckily, he is just FINE with relaxing!
We had church on Sunday and he got to meet my community! I love them – they are all so sweet and welcoming. He also helped me teach Sunday school with my preteens/teen class (6). It was pretty funny – them all singing their songs with my big microphone toy (even dad!) and they reenacted the story of the Prodigal Son. Learning is fun! Dad got his first massage and LOVED it! I knew he would. He is now hooked. It was special to have him here and we had a great time together!
The next several days consisted of: playing with children, seeing movies, shopping, teaching English and bible, getting massages, driving around town and through the mountains, visiting work, meeting all my friends in the community, eating thai and farang foods, cultural dinner shows, visiting the entire Animal Kingdom through elephant treks, monkey and snake shows, and night safari tours! I even got to do some stuff i haven't done yet! Enjoy the pics!
(The view at the Elephant Camp)
Dad with a new friend!
Chang Dao Cave
Long Ear Karen Hilltribe woman
Long Neck Karen Hilltribe children (have rings around every female's neck and knees at a young age and the number signifies how "beautiful" you are...?!)
Little Karen boy taking an afternoon nap.
Night Safari!
Massages rock!
The most memorable dad moments:
1. going with me to a *youth hostel for Karen hilltribe kids (see below) that are poor and at risk and my dad participated in the service by speaking to them onstage and thanking them for their hospitality and ‘smiling faces’ that truly touched him
2. my Sunday school kids writing “thank yous” to him and buying him a gift at the local market to say goodbye.
*Playing with my outreach kids on the dirty floor!
3. hanging out at home playing cards, reading, eating together, as well as doing my laundry, opening the front gate, and locking the door each time for me!
4. talks about God, praying before meals together, and attending a prayer time for Burma
5. treating me while he was here! Whoohoo!
6. thai dancing at the cultural dinner show! (he did not need a lot of coaxing, either!)
7. enjoying a nice cold beer in the hot sun while on a bamboo raft ride – compliments of a little old thai man walking through the river selling drinks from a Styrofoam cooler floating in the water
8. having a monkey jump all over him and make a home on his head – trying to pick his hair for bugs! it don't get better than that, folks!
9. holding a giant python around his neck at the snake show (and almost getting bit by a runaway snake!)
10. having the most “beautiful Wai” a farang could!
**THANK YOU so much, dad, for coming to visit me! It truly meant a lot to me that you would spend your time and money to see where and how I live in Thailand. J I’m sure you felt better about me being here and hopefully, took things with you that will change your life forever! I love you!
Nice hat! :)

1 Comments:
Wow - a bamboo raft ride and floating beer!? So cool. You dad is one brave man - that snake picture made me want to cry a little. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home