Trafficjammy

Entering the world of "Just Jenn"! :) Enjoy the read...this is the journey to Thailand!

01 January 2007

Welcoming in the New Year - 2007!


Well friends, I have been in Thailand for a year now! It's crazy to think how fast time has flown by here. I am feeling blessed by the way God has worked in my life this past year - answered prayers and strengthening relationships, and making new ones along the way. I don't know where to begin really...it has been a whirlwind of a year. Who thought that I would be so happy here in Thailand. I honestly thought that the novelty would wear off but I am content and feeling blessed by my surroundings. I try to live my life the way that I would want to be remembered - in service, growing spiritually, learning and loving people well, and smiling and laughing my way through this life! :)

This year, I have experienced: the excitement and anxiety of being a stranger in a strange land, the friendliness and patience of locals, earning the love of children, the trials of language learning and cross cultural differences, being open to opportunities to the Holy Spirit working and guiding me, the frustrations of being a Supervisor for Thai staff, seeing the fruit of my labor, the joys of laughter that crosses all barriers, witnessing the heartache of poverty and oppression amongst children and families in need, the pride of doing a good deed or a job well done, the discouragement of working hard - only to watch it unfold and fall apart, making lasting friendships and meaningful relationships, and to strive for justice - only to have it feel that i can never do enough.... but I have hope in all things and without God, friends - it is ALL in vain! Psalm 25

*I celebrated the New Year with some farang and Rawang friends! Dinner, walking around town through the local market and festivities, and going by church for fellowship, a big bonfire, and fireworks! It was a nice end to a great year! And fitting to end the year and begin the year with my closest connection here - my church family and friends.

**Unfortunately, New Year festivities had a bit of a rough end. Apparently there were multiple bombings during the New Years Eve celebrations in Bangkok, Thailand. There were 9 small bombs that went off in various spots in downtown Bangkok - It is awful what happended, but fortunately there weren't many injured. I don't know many details except that the government thinks it has something to do with the September Coup and the former Prime Minister's people, or possibly a Muslim insurgency (wars going on in southern Thailand)...neither seems definate right now. I find it difficult to believe that they would risk hurting local people - the ones that support the Former Prime Minister...but what do I know? Needless to say, I am fine and things are quiet. Keep praying for Thailand and for the government to figure this out and keep people safe.

Thanx for all your support and prayers and care for me and my mission in Thailand -you are all unbelievably important to me and I am blessed by your interest, love, encouragement, and friendships!

***Stay posted on my blog for a whole New Year of Thailand sights, sounds, and excitement! :) I also wanted to reflect on some favorite verses from this past year...I pray that they give you encouragement and comfort, too, in this new year.

Psalm 10:17,18 "You hear, O Lord, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry, defending the fatherless and the oppressed, in order that man, who is of the earth, may terrify no more".
Micah 6:8 "He has showed you what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God".
Proverbs 3:5,6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and He will make your paths straight".
Psalm 51:10-12 "Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me".
Jeremiah 29:11-13 "For I know the plans I have for you...plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart".
Matthew 5:3-12 Jesus gives the Beattitudes....
Psalm 27:14 "Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord".
Ephesians 2:8,9 "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast".
Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me".
Psalm 36:5,6 "Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies. Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, your justice like the great deep".
Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose".
Psalm 23 "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows".

1 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Blogger Terri said...

Right on - love, ter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home